Re: Fan Clutch Problems

From: Gmblows@aol.com
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 22:50:56 EDT

On cold mornings the fan engages because there is fluid in the
fan clutch, when it's cold and thick it doesn't freewheel so easy.
It's perfectly normal for the fan to engage when it needs to, that's
the whole idea. I don't know if it coming on at 60 or 70 MPH is normal
unless your towing, in hot weather, with the A/C on.
An underdrive crank pulley will reduce your losses!

<< When I purchased my 97 Dak 318, I complained to the dealer about starting
my
 truck up first thing in the morning. The mechanic said ya the fan sounds
 like a jet engine for a few miles when cold, then it should stop.
 But when fully up to normal operating temperature (when the noise should
 stop), I can still hear it coming on and off once in a while, especially
 when shifting up or down (5 speed).
 Even when cruising at 60 to 70 miles per hour the odd time you can hear it
 make noise on and off, is this normal? The DC mechanic says that it is.
 But it doesn't seem right to me. The extra "noise" means a drain on
 horsepower doesn't it?

 Thanx
 Jay Friedrich >>