Re: Fan Clutch Problems

From: jay & dana (jay&dana@telus.net)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 18:20:31 EDT

Hi Ron

When I purchased my 97 Dak 318, I complained to the dealer about starting my
truck up first thing in the morning. The mechanic said ya the fan sounds
like a jet engine for a few miles when cold, then it should stop.
But when fully up to normal operating temperature (when the noise should
stop), I can still hear it coming on and off once in a while, especially
when shifting up or down (5 speed).
Even when cruising at 60 to 70 miles per hour the odd time you can hear it
make noise on and off, is this normal? The DC mechanic says that it is.
But it doesn't seem right to me. The extra "noise" means a drain on
horsepower doesn't it?

Thanx
Jay Friedrich