Fan Clutch Problems

From: Ronald Wong (ron-wong@home.com)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 14:03:27 EDT

I don't know if this is just symptomatic on the 5.9's or it goes through the
entire range of Dak engines but there is a TSB on it. The TSB doesn't fix
anything. It just makes dealers and ultimately, customers aware that the
fan does sound pretty loud when the clutch engages and that there is a
feeling of a loss of power when the clutch engages. When I first felt it in
my Dak, I thought I was losing my tranny. Now, I've grown accustomed to it.
When does it happen? It doesn't happen on a cold morning, however, it does
happen after I have driven somewhere, shut the truck off, come back out
several hours later, and start the truck again. Why? During the period
that the engine was cooling down, the ambient temperature under the hood
went high enough to cause the fan to engage as soon as I started the truck.
As soon as I started moving and the ambient temperature went down the fan
shut off and I was fine. The other time the fan engages is the obvious
time, when you're moving in stop-and-go traffic and the temperature is very
hot outside. The thing I hate the most about this fan is the amount drag it
causes on the engine. It feels like I'm losing about 30 hp and when
starting from a dead stop almost feels like I'm starting in second. If you
get up in the morning and it's cold out, but your fan engages it could mean
that the temperature under your hood got warm enough when you shut it down
the night before that the switch connected. As soon as you start moving in
the morning your fan should disengage.

HTH,
Ron
00 SLT QC 4X2 5.9 46RE 3.92 LSD