Looking for a general reference. Or a few brain dumps.

From: Grady Ogburn (jgo@uswest.net)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2000 - 01:19:45 EDT

Folks-

I've got a few duckets to spend (a grand, two at the outside), and I've been
lurking the list long enough to learn that I have an awful lot to learn.
Thanks, BTW, to all who contribute. Bernd, you should write a book.

I've done a few basic mods (see below, mostly breathability), and I'm ready
to squeeze a little bit more out of my 318. My Dak is definitely a daily
driver (and occasional off-road buggy), but I want it to be a BOSS daily
driver, and I'd like to do as much of the work as I can by myself. No
offense to the blown crowd, but I'm not thinking forced air. Not that I'd
*mind* getting blown, mind you <g>, but I don't race (street OR track).
That makes me think that nitrous is probably not a good option either.

Is there a good website OR a good book that'll help me figger out the
relative benefits of what comes next? OR, is there someone who'd be willing
to spend a few minutes on the phone (my dime, of course)? I'm in the Denver
Metro area, and I started doing this stuff just to get my motor back -- the
altitude and lack of O2 here is a real horse-thief. I think I accomplished
what I originally intended to do, but now it's become more of a quest for
the perfect fun-truck...

I've read untold numbers of messages about this throttle body, or that
ignition and coil, or thus-and-such injectors, or an MPI (at the risk of
sounding stupid, I *think* that this is a Mopar Performance Intake, but I'm
only speculating), wires, plugs, pulleys, fans, rockers, and so on... I'd
be interested in learning what each mod will deliver in terms of
performance, and what it would cost in fuel economy and/or longevity (I'm
planning on keeping 'er for a while).

I'm also gonna lift 'er a little and stoke up the suspension, but that's
another story.

Any URLs or book titles come to mind? Any of you seasoned vets wanna play
the role of coach?

Grady Ogburn
jgo@uswest.net
'98 Sport CC 4x4
5.2l, 5 Speed
Mesa Headers & Cat
K&N FIPK, JET Stage II PCM
MagnaFlow/Gibson "Franken-pipe" Cat-Back