RE: RE: RE: A/C Woes!!!

From: Kenneth Berntsen (kenneth@berntsen.cc)
Date: Mon Sep 11 2000 - 14:20:11 EDT

Okay first of all I think he already posted a message saying he used r-134a
which many people will still refer to as freon even though r-12 is what most
are talking about when they say freon.

I have replaced the evaporator on a gen-II and its not any fun. Haven't
seen how every thing goes together on a gen-III but I'm sure you'll still
find yourself taking out most of your dash in order to get to it. IMHO its
almost worth it to let a shop do it for you. There are some tight places
back in there and it ended up being an all day project for me. Lets just
say removing and replacing the dash is the easy part.

BTW - I really don't recommend using the leak detector or leak sealer on any
A/C system once that stuff is in the system its in there forever to gunk
things up. The best way to look for a leak is with a leak sensor. I'm
fortunate enough to have a nighbor who sells MAC tools so I was able to
borrow one. Once you open the system I'd recommend flushing it out to get
as much of that leak finder and sealer out. Air is what makes the sealer
solidify and by opening the system you've just exposed it to air.

Good Luck