Re: Questions about drag racing Dakota

From: Travis Higgins (travis@primenet.com)
Date: Wed Sep 13 2000 - 00:32:46 EDT

Hi Jason,

I just raced my Dak for the first time a few weeks ago. A couple of
pointers.

1) Lower the tire pressure down to like 22 - 25 psi. I went to 25 psi but
probably could have went lower.
2) A lot of people like to run with the tailgate down. I have a tonneau
cover.
3) Drive around the water box, then do a good burnout to clean off the tires
and get a little heat in them.
4) Turn the overdrive off.
5) Stage as shallow as possible for a little better ET. Meaning you just
want to roll forward enough to trip the second staging light.
6) I had my best 60' time when I brought the revs up to 1400 rpm against the
brake and when the lights turned green, I eased it out a few feet then went
full throttle. You will probably have to experiment, as it will depend on
track conditions and how well your tires hook up.
7) Just have fun!

I did not reset the computer before racing. I do think the computer learns
however, as on each run I ran faster and faster. Although like a post
earlier today stated it might just be that you're cleaning all the carbon
out of the motor. I did pull the filter out of the air box and ran my best
times that way, although it was later that night and could have been
attributed to the cooler weather.

You should run anywhere from 15.1 - 15.5 depending on the altitude of the
track that you are at. Most important thing is to have fun. It well be
even more fun if you go with some other Dak owners. When I went to Firebird
we had a mini Dak gathering with 4 R/T's and one 4.7l/5-speed Sport and we
all had a blast. We would ask the staging lane director to line us up
against each other.

Anyway have fun and let the DML know how you did!

Travis
00 IB CC R/T