Re: Re: RE: Re: Gen III Durango axle to a Gen II Dakota Re: Jon

From: Pukeloser@aol.com
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 23:55:06 EDT

I just had an auburn LSD installed in my 95 dakota (8.25 rear) when they
removed the old gear set (non sure grip) the spider gear had 2 teeth almost
completely gone and 1 about halfway ground down. That was the original
factory gear and I was told that the auburn unit was of much higher quality.
When installing the auburn into the 8.25 they actually had to grind a notch
in the inside of the housing unit (in the right/passenger side) in order for
the unit to fit. I'm hoping this aubirn unit will take some abuse.
   The only mod I had with the factory unit was the MP PCM. However I now
have Headers,exhaust, MSD ignition/coil/wires, K&N filter, and the MP PCM. I
wonder if there is someplace online that I can look up what the Rockwell
rating on the various gears in the auburn is. Anyway I'll keep everyone
posted on how well it holds up. Because of the metal fragments in the rear
end I also replaced all the bearings (including the wheel bearings) and put
new Supierior brand axles in. I also had the original 3.9 gear swapped for
4.10's, figuring I can compensate for the speedo inaccuracy with taller
wheels.
    Anyway, the truck grips like a son of a b#@*h now! I plan on doing the
cam, heads, intake, throttle body, and injectors this winter. The guys at
direct drivetrain (Corona, CA) quoted me $2500 installed for a custom built
9" (including new brakes).

   JOHN