Re: RE: Synthetic conversion questions

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sat Sep 16 2000 - 11:22:32 EDT

>Got a friend that uses Silicone Brake fluid in his brakes on a funny car.
>Would this be DOT 5??

Yes.

>How does the Valvoline Synthetic Brake Fluid (DOT5) Help? We talked a
>lot about the benefits about synthetic fluids here, but no brake. And
>how do you change it?

Not all DOT 5 brake fluids are synthetic. You'll find that most
road course racers uses DOT 5. DOT 5 does not absorb water like
conventional formulations, thereby maintaining its original boiling
point and viscosity, and will not damage paint surfaces. The one
that I'm using on the Challenger is good to a 500F boiling point
and safe to -67F. It makes and maintains the pressure on the brake
pedal that is more consistent under constant, hard braking situations
under speed because it can handle those heat build-ups a lot better
(e.g. road racing).

Since DOT 5 should not be mixed with DOT 3 (using used on stock
vehicles) and DOT 4, you'll have to completely remove the current
blake fluid from the system, replace it with DOT 5 and bleed the
air bubbles out of the system ... same procedure as you would use
if you were completely replacing the DOT 3 fluid.

Bob