Re: Transgo shift Kit

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sat Sep 16 2000 - 12:15:57 EDT

At 10:43 PM 9/15/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Somebody warned that the valve train on these engines is not safe to rev to
>that rpm. Isn't that rpm also so far out of the power band that the
engine is
>not making any power at that rpm? I would just like to firm up the 1-2
shift.
>I wonder if just drilling out the right hole in a plate can do that without
>having to install a whole kit? I don't want it to shift hard under light
>throttle though.

The peak hp on a stock magnum 318 is around 4000 rpm. With the Magnum R/T
complete package, peak hp is around 4500 rpm. This is with the 3.55 gear
ratio.
When the MPI and 3.92 gears are added, peak hp is at 5000 rpm.

Shifting at about 500 rpm above the peak hp is a good guide to begin testing.
Anything above and the engine is making a lot of noise but is out of breath
and is slowing down the truck.

Stock valve springs should be okay for about 5200 - 5500 rpms. MP valve
springs
are good to 6000 rpms. You can go higher but a lot of stress is being put on
the valvetrain components, and, under sustained or frequent (hot) operation
at those
rpms, valve float can/will eventually occur. Because of the inherent
design flaw
from the LA small blocks, lifters, pushrods and guides should be beefed up
as well.

I have found the Transgo kit to work close, if not right on, to what you're
looking for at part throttle and WOT at rpms around the 4500 mark. Apparently
though, if installation does not include removing the housing bolts and
driveshaft (?),
manual shifting at WOT at rpms above 4500 becomes erratic. TV cable will have
to be adjusted after the install.

Bob. Ont, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC, 5.2L, 4x2, 3.92 SG, auto., 4265 lb.
PB: 14.737 @ 91.75 9.364 @ 72.95