Re: Whats the MPG for a 4 cylinder dak

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sun Sep 17 2000 - 19:42:24 EDT

> Ok, i am in gettin ready for school in january and will be travilin 80
miles
> a day with my 92 5.2 4x4 ill be fillin up every 3 days. i get avg
14-15mpg. I
> might and will hate if i have to sell my dak but want to go to another one
if
> so. and a 4 banger behind a 5 spd 4x2 will do for me.The 3.9 i think gets
> close of MPG to the 5.2 to switch to.

Joe,
Depending on what year 4cyl Dak you are looking for, it will of course vary.
Here at the stats I found, according to what Dodge says they get:
2000 Dodge Dakota, Base Engine Size: 2.5 liters.
Base Engine Type: Inline(2.5L I4 OHV SMPI 8-valve engine)
Horsepower: 120 hp @ 5200 rpm
Torque: 145 ft-lbs. @ 3250 rpm

EPA Mileage Estimates: (City/Highway)
Manual: 20 mpg / 24 mpg
Automatic: 16 mpg / 21 mpg

Range in Miles: (City/Highway)
Manual: 440 mi. / 528 mi.
Automatic: 352 mi. / 462 mi.

The V6 Ratings(4x4):
Base Engine: 3.9L, OHV, SMPI V-6
EPA Fuel Economy (mpg city/hwy.): 15/19 manual, 15/18 automatic (estimated

Optional Engine: 5.2L, OHV, SMPI V-8(4x4)
EPA Fuel Economy (mpg city/hwy.): 14/18 manual, 13/17 automatic (estimated)

Here is my arguement: Take a Dakota, say that weighs in at 4850 pounds. The
4cylinder will have to work alot hard to actually get the truck up the
speed, than will say the V6 Engine. I mean according the numbers above,
obviously the 4cyl would get better mileage, but what about the power loss
factor. I used to take my girlfriend's 97 Ranger(2WD 4cylinder) truck out
every now and then. I cannot believe how underpowered than truck is. I had
to floor the truck in 4th gear just to get up a mild hill. The 97 Ranger's
4cyl engines are rated as follows;Based on the 2.3-liter ohv 4-cyl engine:
Horsepower @ rpm 112 @ 4800
Torque, lb.-ft. @ 135
EPA fuel economy, mpg city/hwy 22/27
Just my opinion, and I dont know how the 4cyl engine performs in a Dakota,
but I wouldnt waste my time on them. Good Luck.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6