Re: Intake upgrades - NY emissions

From: Jon (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2000 - 13:02:54 EDT

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, Doug Fedeli wrote:

> When I had mine inspected in July I asked about the difference between the
> emissions inspection and the safety inspection. The safety is for cars 2 years and
> newer and older cars. I can't remember the age. Emissions is for everything else.
> When mine was inspected they didn't pop the hood. I asked about the open element
> filter and he said that they just need to do a visual for the cat and other parts
> being in place. They don't care about the intake as long as everything is in
> place. That's what I like about going to a local place. They know the work I do on
> my truck and they get what I can't.

  Same here; western NY, they didn't even pop the hood. Just checked for
a cat and such. I definitely agree with Doug; if you've got a small,
local garage that does inspections its good to establish a relationship
with 'em. Have them do exhaust work, change the oil in the winter, etc.
They'll be familiar with you and your truck, and IMHO, inspections
will be less of a hassle.

                                              -Jon-

  .---- Jon Steiger ----- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@twistedbits.net ------.
  | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL |
  | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
  `------------------------------ http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ----'