heater core leakage

From: jim miller (jim76712@swbell.net)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2000 - 17:05:52 EDT

Actually modern veichles have a bad record on heater cores. The shop I work at
does this kind of work and we see a lot of late model cars and trucks, I mean 2
and 3 year old veichles, with bad heater cores and A/C evaporator cores also.
Ferd is worse with GM second and Chrysler last in having to replace heaters.
Heaters used to be made out of copper and brass like radiators used to be made
of, Lately plastic and aluminium has been used for both and that is a reason
that they don't last like they used to. If a dealer replaces a heater they are
sure to use another plastic one. We use copper and brass replacements when
available for the application and only use the plastic ones when that is all that
can be had. So when replacing a heater try to get a copper and brass unit
because it should last a lot longer. Check with several auto supplies or
radiator shops in your area to find out if a non plastic heater can be had.
Jim in Waco
99 R/T RC FR
27 years with Renschler Radiator and automotive in Waco.