Procress for Replacing Fuel Injectors

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2000 - 14:38:48 EDT

I have purchased some Ford Motorsport #19lb/hr injectors, so before they
arrive I would like go through the fuel injector removal and installation
procedures. I have heard it should take around 45 minutes to do the swap, so
I would like to keep it around that number and not turn it into an all day
project. So far, here is what I plan on doing:
1. Disconnect the pos&neg battery cable
2. Relieve the fuel pressure at the pressure test port valve/take the gas
cap off
2. Remove the 2 Torx headed bolts on the passenger's side fuel rail
3. Lift the fuel rail/injectors up off the engine/manifold
4. Remove the injectors from the fuel rail
5. Remove the wiring connectors from the injectors
6. Same for driver's side of the engine, just no Torx bolts here; one is a
hex head and the other side is a nut/threaded rod combo
7. Reinstall new injectors onto the fuel rail
8. Reconnect the wiring connectors onto the injectors
9. 'Bleed' the computer out; hold the key on for 15seconds
10.Reconnect the battery cables
11.Start it up and check for leaks

The FSM says to remove the throttle body, but after looking at my truck
today, I think this is a totally unnecessary step. Here is what my
questions are:
1. At Bernd's suggestion, I am going to use automatic tranny assembly oil to
lubricate the fuel injector's o-ring(s). Just a light coat around the
o-rings?
2. Are there 2 o-rings per injector? I would imagine there would be one
which is at the top of the injector(fuel rail side) and one at the bottom of
the injector(manifold side). Is this correct?
3. Would it be a good idea to clean the 'ports' which the fuel injectors
seat into? By the 'ports' I mean the fuel rail and the manifold, where the
injectors will get pushed into and will seat properly. I was just planning
on spraying some throttle body cleaner on a lint free shop towel and
cleaning around this area or just shooting some tb cleaner down into the
ports.
So once again, any suggestions would be greatly appreaciated! I cant wait to
get the old stock 130,000 mile old injectors out to see what they look like.
Even more, I cant wait to see how the new FMS injectors make my truck run.
Thanks!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6