Re: '97 3.9L V6 Tune up

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Thu Sep 21 2000 - 21:12:24 EDT

> I'm new to the list. I recently purchased a '97 SLT CC w/ 3.9L V6.. I'm
> pretty happy with it so far. It runs good... maybe a little rough at idle.
> suspect all of the ignition components are original, except for plugs. I
want
> to tune it up and took a quick scan through the archives looking for
> recommendations on parts. From what I was able to glean from the archives,
> Autolite 3923 (gaped to 0.045) are well liked and Borg Warner Distributor
cap
> and rotor, is this correct? Also, I think the plug wires are also
original...
> any recommendations on these? I'm not looking for real high-end here,
mainly
> interested in smoother running, better milage, and maybe a little more HP.
> Finally, would doing one of the air-flow mods improve milage, HP, or both?

Brian,
Yes the Autolite are plug of choice for stock and aftermarket ignition
systems. For the distributor cap and rotor, go with Borg Warner Select Cap
and BW Select Rotor; the BW Select cap has good brass terminals. I have MSD
8.5MM Super Conductor wires, PN#32189, and simply love them. Very thick and
they hold up great. They ran me about $60 from Summit. If you can afford
them, get them you will also be impressed. You might wanted to also use a
can of Throttle Body cleaner, yes I did say an entire can. I use Gumout's TB
Cleaner, which is designed for the whole can to be used for a good thorough
TB cleaning. I think it runs about $4 for the can, and will help will idle
and overall performance. I use a can every tune up, which is about every
7-10,000 miles since I am running am complete aftermarket ignition system.
Also, be sure to use plenty of dielectric grease o nthe spark plug terminals
and the dist. cap terminals when doing a tune up. Good Luck!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6