RE: RE: MSD Problems - need help fast

From: Ronald Wong (ron-wong@home.com)
Date: Sat Sep 23 2000 - 14:20:39 EDT

Have you done the troubleshooting tip provided by MSD? Follow these steps:

1) Make sure the ignition switch is in the OFF position.

2) Remove the coil wire from the distributor cap and position the terminal
so it is approx. 1/2" from a good ground.

3) Disconnect the MSD white wire that goes to the distributor.

4) Turn the ignition to the ON position. DO NOT CRANK THE ENGINE.

5) Tap the white wire to ground several times. Each time the wire is pulled
away from ground a spark should jump from the coil wire to ground. If spark
is present, the ignition is working properly.

If there is NO spark:

A) Inspect all wiring.

B) Substitute another coil and test again. If there is now spark, the coil
is at fault.

C) If there is still no spark, check to make sure there is 12 volts on the
small red wire from the MSD when the key is in the ON position (I guess I
was wrong in the previous answer). If 12 volts are not present find another
12-volt source and repeat the test.

D) After inspecting the test procedures and inspecting all of the wiring,
there is still no spark, the Ignition is at fault. See the Warranty and
Service Page for Information.

Ron
00 SLT QC 4X2 5.9 46RE 3.92 LSD
For modifications see my DML Profile