Re: Is this true??(Not long at all)

From: Marty Galyean (mgalyean@acm.org)
Date: Sat Sep 23 2000 - 22:30:17 EDT

Short answer, yes.

Long anwer, sort of:
I think the general reason for the lower temp t-stat is to reduce underhood
temperatures and thereby the intake air temperature. And many on the list have
made the move to 180 tstats to reduce or eliminate pinging.
What he told you does make some sense. If you can get cool air without
reducing the temp of the internal combustion process its a better deal energy
conversion-wise. But this stuff is so complicated that it may be a case by
case kind of thing. From an engine and drive train wear perspective,
consistency in operating temperature is very important as this will mean that
all the parts will expand to the same dimensions and hold them more closely and
repeatedly; this means less slop in rings, bushings, etc over time. I know
that running a cooler engine usually makes the temperature more consistent so
in theory it would last longer (aside from the obvious reduction of heat
induced stresses within individual parts).