Re: RE: Dakota ping/clatter problems

From: bernd@texas.net
Date: Mon Sep 25 2000 - 16:16:16 EDT

If it's just a short amount of pinging between part throttle to a wide open
throttle stab, that's just about normal (but it only pings for about a
second). BUT...if you can hear it pretty well while driving, that's not good
at all. Pinging (Detonation/Pre-Ignition) can cause premature piston and valve
wear causing major engine "malfunctions".

As for the modifications, nothing personal against your dad either, but unless
the dealer can prove that the modification is the cause of the fault, they are
required to honor the warranty work. To put it another way...if they won't fix
an intake manifold leak because of a modified Intake Tube, they need to prove
how & why the intake tube caused the intake manifold leak.

- Bernd