MSD install help (kinda long)...

From: Grady Ogburn (jgo@uswest.net)
Date: Sat Sep 30 2000 - 01:39:59 EDT

Folks-

Today I put in an MSD6a and Accel Coil (#140021), and I've got some WIERD
sh_t going on. I might have screwed the pooch, and I need some advice.

I disconnected the battery and discharged the capacitor (key to START for 15
seconds). Accidentally left the ignition in the ON position (this could be
the root of the problem).

Removed the battery to mount the MSD box behind it -- wired everything.
Checked it three times from stem to stern, everything was according to the
instructions, and everything agreed with Ron Wong's *numerous* step-by-step
instructions posted here. Big red and black wired were mounted to the posts
underneath the fusebox lid. Small Red and White wires follow a different
path than the Black/Grey and Orange/Green wires, and BOTH are well separated
from the coil and spark plug wires. Re-mounted the battery, connected the
positive cable.

When my buddy touched the positive cable to the battery post, it arced and
melted a small piece of the post. I didn't notice it at the time, but
apparently this blew the 140 amp alternator fuse. Checked the ignition and
discovered my earlier mistake, turned it off, connected everything (no arc),
and started it up. Sounded great, immediately assumed a steady idle at
~750. Revved it a few times, and everything appeared to be fine. Then my
buddy noticed SMOKE coming from the vicinity of the MSD wire grommet. Shut
it down quick. The big black wire (MSD to Battery positive) was hotter than
HELL.

Disconnected the big red (MSD to Battery Negative) wire from the hot post in
the fusebox,
electric-taped the connector end to insulate it, and tied it off (I needed
to drive home, and was going to go back to stock ignition). I left the
negative wire attached. Reconnected the stock ignition and restarted
everything just to be sure, and more smoke, from the same place on the MSD
box. Shut it down quick again. The negative lead from the MSD box SCORCHED
my finger -- it was hot across its entire length. This is with the positive
lead from the MSD box completely isolated -- sealed in electric tape. This
is when we noticed that the 140amp alternator fuse was blown. Disconnected
the battery, and that's where she sits as we speak (all parts stores were
closed, will get one tomorrow).

Question 1: Does it sound to you like a blown alternator fuse could cause
the behavior I've described, and could "fixing" the problem be as simple as
replacing that fuse?

Question 2: Could I have done permanent damage to the MSD box?

Comments? Advice?

Grady Ogburn
'98 Sport CC 4x4
5.2l, 5 Speed