Re: Can't get the Dak to hook at the track.

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sat Sep 30 2000 - 10:12:23 EDT

Hi, Mark

At 12:15 AM 9/30/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Too low rpm(2000rpm), bog. Too high (2500), tire spin. There seems to be no
>happy medium. My 60 foot times should be in the 1.9's. I usally have bad
>tire spin on the 1-2 shift and a bit too much on the 2-3 shift, but my
>clutch is solving that problem for me (stock 318, 10k miles). I am getting a
>Centerforce Dual Friction I think, but I am looking for the secrets of the
>people who are running 1.7 to 1.9 60 foot times, mainly chassis set up and
>technique.

I see that Scott has mentioned switching to slicks, spring clamps or
the expensive traction bars.

I've had good success with spring clamps ... my pit man (son) said that
the rear end noticeably sits down on the launch ... need to do more testing
with them. I have heard of someone fabbing in a pinion snubber ... requires
welding in/bolting up a heavy duty metal plate underneath to act like a cross
member where the snubber would hit on the launch (otherwise it would be
hitting
the bottom of the bed).

Moving the battery to the back (I plan to move it to where the spare is as
I've got a hard tonneau lid and carry tires in the bed anyways), and going
with 90-10 shocks (or at least adjustable gas shocks) come to mind.

With the 5 spd and all that torque, you may find that you'll have to squeeze
the gas pedal until it hooks before going right to the floor ... will take
a lot of practice and experimenting before you find the right combo and
it feels like second nature. Because of my erratic upshift problem, I'm
at the stage now where I find myself automatically doing a slight lift on the
gas pedal (to get the shift) whether I need to or not.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you've tried and how it works out.

Good luck.
Bob