Re: Throttle Bodies-Response to Bernd

From: Steven T. Ekstrand (cyberlaw@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Oct 02 2000 - 10:59:30 EDT

| Yap yap yap....to make a long story short...anyone with a hand grinder,
that
| has never really done porting work or hand machining shouldn't be playing
| around with one on their throttle body (or heads) in the first place.

Okay? We don't disagree. Never have. I don't get it?

| It also looks like you have a personal "issue" with Jules since I didn't
even
| mention him until the last sentence and you keep bringing up his name.

Absolutely. I'm in Kalifornia, I come to Houston once every two years. If
I'm going to deal with him its got to be over the phone. I call in March.
"What do you have available in mods for the 4.7L." Response was along the
lines of, "Call back when you're ready to spend some money." Hello? I
guess I was receiving the answer for the guy who called before me that
morning. Now he's going the patent route not for a new product but for
modifications to somebody elses product. Which threatens to close down
less expensive alternatives to Magnum Performance. I don't like that at
all. And he is expensive. And no, you don't always get what you pay for.
But that's his customers' problem, not mine. Does he do great work? I'm
sure he does. Does he practice alchemy? Hmm, I'll leave that alone.

| The other comment rather shocked me when you stated that (in the past of
| course) you wouldn't even give me the time of day.

I said I've grown up, I was cutting myself. I'll never forget the day I
got chewed out for calling a customer after he left a "Pro Stock wannabe".
He was a rich guy with a Pro Stocker that had about zero chance of ever
qualifying at an NHRA national event. But I wasn't pleased with your "oh,
isn't it nice you have an NHRA approved car, I know all about that...."
line. I really doubt that you do understand the differences between a
class car (Stock, Super Stock, and Comp) or a Pro Stocker and the typical
bracket car.

My point was things like Pro Street cars or Super Gas cars are different
animals from the knife edge cars I grew up with. But unless you've been
there you wouldn't appreciate the difference and you're likely to get
caught up in the frenzy to spend money in areas that don't make sense in
the HP return analysis. The Pro Street guys invented "Rice". Their mods
are there to look impressive. The Super Gas guys just don't seem to get it
at the local level. One of the few categories anywhere that you'll find
the cars winning the title cost far less than the cars losing in the early
rounds.