Auto Tranny Fluid 'Flush' Service?

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Mon Oct 02 2000 - 15:44:39 EDT

Every year or so I have the tranny fluid changed on my truck, at a local
lube place where I know a few of the guys. It is that time of year and I
have a dilemma. This is the ONLY thing I have done to my truck, as I do all
the other repair and maintenance on it. I mean for $40, it just isn't worth
my time. Typically, I just have them do the 'normal tranny service', which
includes dropping the tranny pan, cleaning the tranny pan, new gasket, new
filter, and a fillup of ATF+3 7176 Fluid. My tranny has 130,000 miles on it
with no problems at all. I do know the cleaner and cooler the ATF is, the
longer the tranny will last. This is why I am running a huge tranny cooler
and have the fluid changed every year.

How much ATF is actually in my truck? I have heard 14 quarts, but I have no
clue. I know when they just drop the pan and replace this fluid, it is
typically a 5.5 quart job, as indicated on my receipts.
Within the past few years, the tranny flush service has become popular
around here. I have questioned this flush service over the years and still
unsure if it is really worth the extra price. On average, to drop the tranny
pan, clean the tranny pan, new gasket, new filter, and the 'flush' or
'replace' the ATF($10 more for ATF+3 7176) runs about $125. Question is,
will the normal tranny service be just fine, or should I treat the Dak to an
ATF flush? Are they worth it?
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6