Anyone doing a 360 swap, please read! Important info.

From: Mark Kuzia (flyboy01@mediaone.net)
Date: Tue Oct 03 2000 - 00:07:46 EDT

Someone asked about using a 380 HP Crate engine in the dakota, here is my
answer based on my experienc so far.

My truck runs a little less radical cam than the 380 Crate with 9.0
compression (actual). I have seen two guys running the 380 Crate engines at
the track and both were running slower than me. Both had problems with their
computers and power output. My engine seems to be at the limits with the
Mopar PCM and bigger injectors. It has problem with pulse width on the
injectors, it ALWAYS runs too rich or too lean right now. As I found out,
the computer is unable to compensate for 30# injectors. I know because I
have an A/F ratio guage and have been watching it closely as well as using a
scan tool to monitor the computer while I am driving. I will be testing a
318 PCM along with 24# injectors on both 318 and 360 PCM's.

If you really want to do one of these 380 Crate engines, you need an
aftermarket computer system or the good old american carb. There may be some
hope for the 300 HP Crate engine with a MPI swap. BUT! If you check into
doing a 360 yourself, you can build a better engine for about a $1000 less!
A good rebuild, a computer grind cam, and well ported heads will make as
much if not more HP (360-400hp) with a milder cam that maintains enough
vaccuum for the computer.

Mark Kuzia
flyboy01@mediaone.net
http://people.mw.mediaone.net/flyboy01/home.html