Re: Gas mileage?

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@bigfoot.com)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 19:24:23 EDT

I have a '99 318 4x4 and get 14-18 MPG depending on city or highway
driving, weather, and my last shot of STP Injector Cleaner. This is up
considerably (as much as 3 MPG on the highway) over what I had off the
dealer's lot (I have compared the last 2 months to the same time period
last year). I have the following mileage-effecting mods:

QuickD intake
Soft tonneau cover
removed rubber flap on the right side of the radiator
electric fan

My daily commute is half rural-type roads (rolling terrain), half
highway, and then 1 mile of city driving. I get 14-15 MPG on that
route. I acheieved a high of 19MPG this summer running I-81 from
Syracuse, NY to Washington, DC. I saw lows around 12 MPG last winter
when the mercury dropped deep into the single digits (and beyond), but
that was with everything stock and no tonneau.

I'm not sure how much the fan has given me yet; I've only had it on for
a month, and the mileage hasn't changed much vs. the mechanical fan.
However, the temperature has also been dropping. I think the electric
fan will end up giving me more consistent mileage, as there won't be
that drag on the engine when it's real cold (the "fan rush" we all get
in the winter) or up to operating temperature. The engine also spins up
faster than with the mechanical fan; so, I've got my foot in it more,
enjoying the extra power.

In city driving, the tonneau cover won't buy you much. However, I
disagree with the statement "most said that with the design of newer
trucks this does not help MPG." I noticed a significant improvement
with the addition of my tonneau, in addition to better drivability,
especially in windy conditions.

Some 'round here have gotten over 20MPG on the highway with their V8
4x4s; MPI, ported TB, and exhaust work are surely coming into play
there.

--
-andy

http://home.twcny.rr.com/andylevy/ --- andylevy@bigfoot.com ------------------------------------------------------------- "We like AMD. The enemy of our enemy is our friend." --- Jonathan Schwartz Sun senior vice president -------------------------------------------------------------