Re: Gas mileage

From: Kevin (ks14at@usa.net)
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 10:36:46 EDT

Thanks for the info. When I bought this truck I was really bummed to see that
the fan was belt-driven. I thought those things went out years ago. If I
understand how the underdrive crank pulley works, are you saying that the
pulley circumference is smaller than stock? If so do you also need to go to a
shorter belt, and how does this affect the belt-driven systems because they
are now turning slower(alternator, A/C, power steering)? I know all too well
how attempting to correct or improve one area creates a whole new set of
problems.

Kevin

GSWillhite <GSWillhite@ualr.edu> wrote:
Its actually a smaller (than stock) crankshaft pulley that
reduces engine power to belt driven accessories, thereby
saving this power to the rear wheels. The pulley cost me
$60 bucks from ASP who was the manufacturer. The electric
fan is pretty self explanitory, removing the heavy belt
driven fan and replacing it with an electrical fan also
removes a parasitic accessorie from the engine. All this
adds up to more efficency, hp and mpg. A good fan will
cost $80 to $200+ depending on engine size and hp it has
to cool. More cooling = more CFM = more $$$. Was it worth
it for the money? Oh yeah! Just a word of caution, take
care in selecting electric fan sizes/CFM and make sure
you get enough to cool the engine in very hot weather.

GS -