Re: problems w/ M1

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sat Oct 07 2000 - 23:46:36 EDT

Hi, Scott.

At 12:16 PM 10/7/00 -0400, you wrote:
>hey everyone, looking for some suggestions. when I put the m1 on my 360
>this year, I ran if for awhile, and then it started pushing oil out the
>front and the back of the intake, more in the front though.
>I thought, o.k., easy, we will pull it and reseal it.
>well, that worked for about a week, and then when I went racing, got back
>from a run, and popped the hood, I had oil out the front and back of the
>intake again.
>
>soo, my ? is, what am I supposed to do? some say that I might have to much
>crankcase pressure, which may be true, and if so, how can I lower it? The
>valve covers have breathers, and the pcv valve is brand new and rattles, so
>what gives?

Try the 'jiggle test' for crankcase pressure (I have never tried this test
on the LA blocks). It involves loosening but not removing the oil filler
cap while the engine is idling. If there is negative pressure in the
crankcase,
the filler cap will be sucked down onto the valve cover and will sit still.
If there is positive pressure in the crankcase, the cap will dance or 'jiggle'
on top of the valve cover as the pressure escapes, indicating insufficient
vacuum
(and maybe too much pressure). It's conceivable that a partially blocked
system
might provide slight vacuum, requiring only a little finger pressure to
hold the
cap down. If so, some preventive maintenance is needed.

If crankcase pressure is excessive, it may be enough to lift the oil dipstick
partially or fully out of the tube.

Your PCV is new so inspect the hose from the pcv to the intake manifold
for blockage or splits in it. Check the breathers to see if they are
clogged.

Retarded ignition timing can also cause the problem. Stepping hard on the
gas pedal to accelerate a retarded engine causes more pressure in the
cylinders and excessive leakage past the piston rings. Crankcase pressure
is then higher than the PCV valve can handle. Check the ignition timing and
reset it if necessary.

Excessive wear of the piston rings, cylinder walls, and valve guides can
allow pressures to build in the crankcase. The only cure for this is
to overhaul the engine.

As for sealing the front and back of the manifold, there are two ways which
are pretty effective. One is to use a bead of silicone in the valleys and
not the
gaskets. The second is to apply RTV to the bottom side of the front and rear
gaskets and set them in place. Leave for 24 hours before putting on the
manifold.
This should help eliminate the gaskets from slipping out of place when putting
on the manifold.

Hope something in here helps. Good luck!

Bob