Re: CB Antenna

From: Preacher (preacher@carolina.rr.com)
Date: Sun Oct 08 2000 - 11:50:21 EDT

At 11:22 AM 10/8/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>I have a Wilson 1000 magnet mount left over from my last radio sale. It is a
>white one, kinda hard to find at times. I had a modified Galaxy DX 88 with a
>modified Gray 300 inline with it. Pushed around 800 watts on am, about 1800
>on ssb, and around 850 on fm. The galaxy and the Gray are gone, but nobody
>wanted the Wilson Antenna. I will take 30 bucks plus shipping for it. It
>retails for around 59 plus shipping. Shipping will be weird as the base
>isn't that big, but the whip is around 5 feet long or a little longer. This
>one has been tuned down to .8:1 swr. Even on the higher channels (as in
>above the regular 40 cb), it never got higher than 1.3:1. It is an awesome
>antenna and would be great for someone who doesn't want to drill a hole in
>their Dakota. E-mail me off the list.

.8:1? Hmm... I was reading an article on antennas and supposedly 1:1 is as
good as it gets and for all practical purposes was only acheivable in
laboratory conditions.

Now, I am the first to admit that I know less than nothing about CB's
(other than the radio shack model I had as a teen to talk to the other
rednecks at school) so can someone explain a little more about Standing
Wave Ratios and CB antenna properties? Do you have to boost the signal
externally (or internally for that matter) to overcome the 1:1 limit? Do
any of you do any of the mods (let's talk hypothetically since 4watts is
the legal limit and I wouldn't want anyone to incriminate themselves ;-)

Edu-ma-cate me :-P

Preacher