Re: RE: Auto or manual?

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 09 2000 - 16:36:59 EDT

I am looking at 1-ton, and 1&1/2 ton trucks.This truck will supplement the
'74 dodge 1-ton that I currently use.That truck carries 7000-8000 lbs on the
bed and 12,000 lbs on the trailer no problem.We have 560,000 miles on that
truck now.Original tranny(NP435 granny 4-speed manual) and rearend(dana 70
5.13 open gear).I have just this past february swapped in a fuel injected
318 engine.This truck pulls like nobody's business,All day long,6 days a
week, year-round.That 560,000 on the original tranny is the main reason I am
prompted to buy manual, but I like the covenience of an auto(pulling out of
bad places,launching a full load uphill,no shock-load on the
u-joints,rearend,motor mounts,flywheel,etc)But now the autos have pto
capability,tow/haul shift programs,lower gears,easier to maintain(external
screw-on canister style filters,drain plugs) so I think the tables may be
turning.I know that I can't expect 500,000+ miles out of an auto, but I
think with proper maintenance I could pull 200,000+ out of it.The new
6-speed manuals also don't seem to be as durable or "bulletproof" as the old
4-speeds.Thanks,Will