Re: 95/93 V6 Swap; Future Plans.......

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 18:13:11 EDT

> I just ordered a set this week through the local dealer, they charged 162
per
> side (ouch!) for the V8 2000lb T-bars... www.mopar4less.com quoted around
> 125/each, but I would imagine shipping would be expensive due to the heavy
> weight and odd size...for the time being I will keep them as spares (for
> rockcrawling in Tellico in November) then swap them out...
> I also ordered a gas tank and Xfer case skid plate while I was at it (and
> 32-tooth speedo pinion)...
>>>>>>>>>>>
> that's good to hear that no major problems yet, I'm at 110,000 myself,
still
> going very strong! I'm starting to "accessorize" the engine with
occasional
> upgrades to see if that adds any more butt dyno...I am still waiting on
Tony
> (QuickD) to get me a Ram intake tube setup and a GenIII air hat, its been
> over a month but I realize he's busy...have a 180 deg. T-stat, new
radiator
> hoses and an electric fan waiting to be put in....
>>>>>>>>>>
> I dropped the Dak off yesterday for the gear and locker install, should be
> done Friday or Saturday, can't wait. And yes, you can get a Detroit
C-locker
> for a Chrysler 8.25 diff (that's what I got), independent of the ring and
pini
> on ratio (at least that's what they told me at Randy's R&P)...the
important
> factor is the spline count...now I'm just concerned about busting an axle
> off-road...the mechanic had my axles pulled right away and they didn't
look
> as stout as I thought they would be...might be something I'll need to get
> spare to carry (as well as some U-joints)...
>>>>>>
> awesome! You'll love the 2" lift...I think you'll probably be able to do
32's
> with it, especially if you are adding lift with a new spring pack...you
might
> need to do some minor trimming on the front plastic air dam...oh, didn't
you
> remove that anyways? don't forget a new speedo pinion when you do the tire
> swap...and another factor you'll see is the fender skirts will show a
little
> gap in front, on top of the frame...I still need to find some sheet rubber
or
> plastic to cover it up...
> LineX on the lower rocker panels? Cool!!! I thought about that, one day

Dave,
Are you planning on removing/installing the tbars yourself or are you having
a shop do them? I am just skekical on IF I really and going to be able to
remove my truck's stock bars. They look to have a good amount of rust and
corrosion in there. I dont want to remove the lower control arm either. If
you are going to do it, how do you plan on removing/installing them? Be sure
to let me know how things go with them anyways. It is rather crazy though
that a round piece of solid steel can cost that much, isnt it? I think I
will eventually go the new route and get them from the dealer, like you did.
I live kind of close to Koller Dodge, so that is good to know they are
cheap(er). I am just not sure I could trust junk yard tbars 100%, ya know?
The Mopar skid plate for the tcase is actuall pretty nice and thick. Mine
didnt come with any mounting hardware, but I picked up Grade8 hardware
locally for a mere $5. It is also good to know the Detroit Locker is
available for any geared 8.25 diff, cause in my opinion that locker has a
great reputation within the 4WD industry and I can only imagine how awesome
the traction will/would be after putting that beast in there. I ocassionally
hear about how various people dont like the 'sound' or 'noise' it
makes......but who cares!!!!!!!!!!! Just the fact of having a true stout
locker back there out-weighs ANY noise it may/may not make. I am excited
also to see how the LineX job turns out. Basically everything, and I mean
everything on the lower 8"-10" will be sprayed, not just the lower most
rocker panel area. If you look on GenII Dakotas and notice how there is that
'bent' portion of the body running streamline from front to rear........well
this will be the starting line for the LineX and it will be applied all the
way down to where the body ends, even how it kind of curves under the body a
bit. They quoted me $225 for both sides, and that appeared to be cheap. They
wanted $50 to take the rear bumper off, but since I just had a new rear
bumper put on 4 months ago, I am just going to look at it and do it myself.
I want to take the rear bumper off so they can put a double coat over the
body portion behind the rear tires; this is where the large majority of
rocks and such gets thrown up into the body. I think it will look really
good and will/should provide exceptionally good protection.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6