accident update & advice

From: William H. Hiatt III (william@hiatt.net)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 21:20:59 EDT

Well... I got the estimate for my truck. Almost $8,000 in damage. They have
to do stuff like frame work (check it out make sure it's square), check the
cab make sure it's all square, replace the airbags, new grill, new right
fender, right apron, hood, paint, repair the left fender, new ac condenser,
new radiator, tiebar's, etc.

Turns out the guy that PULLED in front of me and basically STOPPED after
making his left turn into my lane says "I hit him, he was going on his
merrily way, his head hit the read window and broke it etc." He had all
these big metal objects in his bed that broke it. What are some peoples
problems?!?!?!?!??! He's now stating his truck is totalled (the bed is
tweaked, and he needs a new bumper, -vs- my entire FRONT END!) and claiming
personal injury. HE WALKED AWAY from the scene, no problem. At the time,
when I asked if he was ok, he said I'm fine. When asked by the police
officer, he stated the same thing. When asked if he needed a tow truck, he
declined, stating his car was fine. He even admitted to not seeing me
coming down the lane, he had a stop sign too. And to get this, he didn't
even pull over! He drove about 1/4 mi. from the scene before pulling over.

Why am I worried? Well, being the ripe old age of 17, the first thing the
officer asked me was "Late to school, son?". Great, now I have my insurance
rates based on his report, and I've got the biased cop. So I'm now afraid
the report will be biased against me.

What are some things I can do? (Read: My parents and I?) if the report
turns out to be biased against me. What if the officer doesn't add his
admissions to turning in front of me and not even seeing me coming down the
lane?

Good news is the lady that called me today (Our rate adjuster) is currently
saying I have 0% liability. She says basically it sounds like this guy is
being a jerk, trying to take advantage of the situation, with my age, etc.

Sorry, just had to vent

william