RE: Front Locker

From: Mike Klinke (LSOMike@email.msn.com)
Date: Fri Oct 20 2000 - 00:19:35 EDT

There are many vehicles running front lockers. Unfortunately I can't answer
specifically for the Dak but it shouldn't be any different than any other
vehicle in this respect. Each vehicle will react to a front locker a little
differently. Differences in the axle and locker tolerances and/or the
installation technique can affect the end result. In my own case, I have a
Jeep with a Lockright in the front. There are no hubs as it's a later model
Jeep. There is absolutely no perceptible effect from the locker on the
street when in 2 wheel drive. In 4 wheel drive on the trail the only real
noticeable difference is much more traction. There are many who are running
automatic lockers such as Lockrights, Detroits, and E-Z lockers just this
way on the their daily drivers without any problems what-so-ever.

The one thing you don't what is any kind of spooling locker. These lockers
will cause no end of problems on the street. The only exception would be the
ARB spooler which can be turned off with a switch on the dashboard. This is
also the most expensive option you're likely to consider albeit the most
delicate due to the required air supply, plumbing and actuating mechanism.

Another often used locker is one of the "limited slip" varieties. Like the
automatic lockers you shouldn't have any problem up front. The only
drawback is their limited effectiveness when compared to a full locker.

For a locker on an axle you don't plan on upgrading eventually I'd recommend
you consider the Detroit first and the ARB second. If you ultimately plan on
a beefier axle then pop in a Lockright since it's much less to purchase and
install.

Regards, Mike Klinke

Dak...Pros...Cons...