RE: RE: Front Locker

From: David Martin (dakota@ivyleague.net)
Date: Fri Oct 20 2000 - 09:14:44 EDT

I am well aware of the problems and idiosyncrasies of a front locker. I am
just looking for someone who has actually placed one in their Dak as it is a
different beast than say a Jeep.

While the Wranglers do not have lock-out hubs they do have a "split axle"
design on the front which allows the passenger side tire to free-spool when
in 2WD, this is why you do not see much "locker effect" when in 2WD. The
Daks on the other hand have a IFS up front that actually turns at all times
all the way back to the transfer case and therefore I am wondering if I
would be wrestling the front locker at all times...not just in 4WD mode.

I thought I had seen where at least one person had put a front locker in a
GenIII and that is why I posted this on the list.

I will probably go with a PowerTrax No-Slip when I do this as I have one in
the back of both my Dak and my 91 Wrangler and have found them to be very
nice.

David Martin