Re:Stalling

From: Fermin Lizalde Jr. (roachmotel69@home.com)
Date: Fri Oct 20 2000 - 01:55:48 EDT

Check the fan clutch. I used to have an 84 Mercury Cougar that displayed the
same symptoms. It turns out the fan clutch wasn't engaging and was causing
my engine to overheat, which in turn caused the oil to overheat until the
pressure blew my rear main seal and started to work on my valve cover
gaskets (presto, less oil pressure). I would then turn my car off and let
the engine cool down. On highways the cold air rushing in was enough to keep
it cool, but as soon as I slowed it started to act up again. To check the
fan clutch simply grab ONE (1) fan blade (with engine off, of course) and
try moving it as far left and right as you have room for. There should be
some resistance, kinda like stirring some thick molasses. if there is very
little/no resistance replace the fan clutch. I have heard of people
repairing a broken one (the thermal kind), but I have never personally done
it. Next, check to see that all of your belts are in good shape and are
installed properly. Finally, if you have an autoparts chain near you go and
see if they check batteries and charging systems. Around here (San Diego)
AutoZone performs this service for free. Hope this helps. Good luck. Fermin
Lizalde Jr.