Phone call that made me feel good

From: Jack Brown (jbrown@oz.net)
Date: Sat Oct 21 2000 - 03:18:16 EDT

Thought I'd share this with the list. Turns out a Dakota can make people
really happy.

In 1993, when transferring from Orlando to Idaho Falls for the Navy, I
stopped to visit my favorite aunt in Kansas. I had owned my Dak for five
months or so at the time.

My aunt really liked my truck. Many times after that visit, she asked me if
I still had it. She even asked about it when I was in Wichita for work
earlier this year and got a day off to go visit her.

My aunt has not had an easy life. Problems with her kids for years. Health
difficulties. Money problems. But, she is one of the nicest people you'll
ever meet.

Anyway. She called me this evening. Turns out she found a great deal on a
97 Dakota. 5 spd, 4x2, 2.5L. (She really doesn't need a powerhouse....)
Apparently, it's in great shape and was being sold by a farmer who had too
many cars now that his kids had all moved out. She had a mechanically apt
friend with her to make sure it was a good vehicle.

I haven't heard my aunt that happy and excited about anything in years if
not decades. I mean, I like my Dakota and plan to get a new one soon, but
she was _excited_. There's something special about a truck that can bring a
real ray of happiness into someone's life.

Maybe I'm being a little sentimental, but I'm just glad to hear my aunt that
happy about something....

--
jbrown@oz.net - www.oz.net/~jbrown
'93 Sport, 4x2, 3.9, 5spd, blue