Re: 1.7 Crower Roller Rockers

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 14:00:33 EDT

At 01:33 AM 10/23/00 EDT, you wrote:
>The more I think about this the more I think I might want to run 1.7 ratio
>rockers instead of 1.6's. My truck has the stock cam for now, it probably
>will forever. Will the 1.7's cause a clearance issue in a stock 1996 318?
>Will I have a bunch of valve float? Those are my main concerns, the
>documented power increases from people who have posted really encourage me
>go to a set of 1.7's. How much did everyone's 1.7's cost, and for those of
>you who bought 1.7's with guideplates and studs and pushrods, how much were
>they in that kit? Where is the best place to order these from? Thanks again!
>Luke

You'll have to bang in the baffles in the stock valve covers for clearance
or get the Mopar Performance valve covers (they are taller). If you go
with the MP valve covers, you'll have to fab something at the PCV valve
on the pass. side cover (the hose running from it to the intake manifold
will be just a tad too short because of the extra height/valve location).

Valve float shouldn't be a problem unless you rev above the mid and into
the high 5000s with a heat buildup. Matching heavy duty valvetrain components
(valve springs, pushrods, guides, lifters) will prevent valve float.

Bob. Burlington, Ont., Canada.
'97 Dakota CC, 5.2L, 4x2, 3.92 SG, auto., 4265 lb.
Dyno: 231.2 rwhp 340.0 lb-ft rw torque
PB: 14.737 @ 91.75 9.364 @ 72.95