DML- switch to a limited slip differential

From: Jef Denning (jdenning@bellatlantic.net)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2000 - 00:18:56 EDT

I've a 99 4x4 SLT xtend cab, V-8, w/ part-time 4-wheel, automatic and an =
open differential in the rear. The rear axle is a 10-bolt Dodge, 8.25. =
I want to switch to a limited slip. The local Dodge dealers have been =
miserably unhelpful when I call for estimates, as If they don't know how =
to do it...., and I can't seem to find a shop in the Washington DC area =
that can do this work. (I don't think we have any real speed shops =
around here.) The truck has 10K miles (bought used).

I'm looking for ideas and some answers. The truck gets limited of-road =
use and some snow use, so I don't need an extreme off-road set-up. =
What's the most durable option? Should I consider switching the entire =
axle (is this the third member?) from a bone-yard? Will the drive shaft =
fit as is? Anyone know what Dakota/Durango/Wrangler/other models are =
compatible? =20

What about doing the rear only?

If I buy a new diff., whose is best for my application?

Thanks in advance.

Jef