Re: Tires cracking between tread blocks

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2000 - 15:35:10 EDT

At 10:24 AM 10/24/00 -0700, you wrote:
>I noticed this morning that my tires are developing cracks in the
>"valleys" between the tread blocks. Some of the cracks are pretty
>good, the rubber is visibly separating. I've never seen this before,
>is it serious? What causes it? Wrong pressure, crappy tires, bad
>luck? They're Pirelli Scorpion A/T in LT235/75R15. Only 30,000 miles
>on them.

NY mud :-)

The only time that I've cracks developing in the valleys are
tires which have not been in use for years ... tire compound hardens
up and dries out.

The only thing that I can think of is maybe excessive heat build up
followed by a sudden cooldown.

I would not do hiway speed driving on them for too much longer.

Bob