There seems to be a highly common Rear Axle Problem out There!!!!!!

From: Fotiu22@aol.com
Date: Sat Oct 28 2000 - 00:33:28 EDT

Hi All,

I just brought my v8 5spd 3.92 axle ratio 1998 Dakota in to Dodge for service
because my Rear Axle all of a sudden started making a loud whirring noise.
The noise got louder as the mph increased. I got a call today telling me it
would cost $2,066 to fix (for a complete Rear axle REBUILD). It appears that
the Outer Pinion Bearing failed and a Clutch Pack from the Trak Loc option
cracked. After picking my mouth up from the floor after it fell off my face!
I questioned the Service Manager on how this could possibly happen at 46k
miles, he said it was a normal occurrence and that he saw it happen on some
dakotas at 16k. I then called Dodge Customer Service to let them know that I
am very upset that this could happen at such low mileage. I asked that they
pick up the cost even though my 36,000 mile warranty ended 10k miles ago.
After the Rep called my Dealer, the Rep told me that they would pick up all
the cost except for $500. They said it was a good will gesture, but I believe
its a cover their ass gesture! I would like to hear from any other Dakota
owners that have experienced this problem. I want to follow up with Dodge to
find out the cause of why this is happening commonly with Dakotas and
Durango's. I feel everybody with this problem should be compensated for this
obvious design flaw. Thank you and Happy Trucking to all!