Re: FW: Converter early lock-up

From: Mark Jackson (a0004096@airmail.net)
Date: Sat Oct 28 2000 - 21:54:45 EDT

I've got the same setup but year 2000. 5.9, 46RE, and Quad. I've been
having this question on the number of actual gears the tranny has. The
window sticker says it's a 4spd auto. A friend of mine says that it's a 3
speed with an overdrive. I've read through the manual and it says with the
overdrive button pushed in (off) the overdrive doesn't kick in. But when I
do this, I can feel the truck shift four times with the overdrive off. So
here is the question. Is it a four speed + the overdrive (seemingly 5
shifts) or is it a three speed + overdrive (seemingly 4 shifts).

P.S. If I've been driving and it shifts all four times with the overdrive
off (not engaged) and I engage it, it "shifts" again. I don't think I got a
free bonus gear or something.