Jay-cleaning throttle body

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (patrickandkelly@erols.com)
Date: Sun Oct 29 2000 - 06:47:54 EST

Jay- the visible part of the throttle body above the butterfly is not
necessarily what you want to focus most of your attention on. There
will only be a slight amount of residue there compared to the rear
(underneath) of the butterfly, and inside the t/b below the butterfly.
Hold the butterfly wide open, spray down the sides past it, and spray
the back side of it. I take a soft rag soaked in cleaner and rub
everything as well as I can. It will turn the rag black.
  Then, just as Bernd advised, remove the IAC motor, clean off the
plunger on it, and thoroughly clean out the passage it is in.
  It will crank and not start for a few seconds, and probably run a tad
rough, but gas it a few times to blow it all out. You will probably
need to help the throttle when you spray into the intake with the engine
running. It may tend to stall otherwise.
  If this is the first time this has ever been cleaned and you've got
more than 60K miles on your truck, I also suggest running a top-engine
cleaner through as well (cleans of pistons/valves) Whatever you end up
doing, you may want to pull the plugs when done and clean them. If you
were really gooked up, sometimes it will deposit on the plugs.
Patrick