Re: DaimlerChrysler now Daimler-Benz (coming soon)

From: Cal Hyer (clhyer@hom.net)
Date: Wed Nov 01 2000 - 01:33:27 EST

So Schrempp says he's a chess player...
He has just paid major bucks for a company, that for whatever reason, is not
giving the expected return. In fact, it is going down the tubes in a hurry.
What do you do? You could get folks mad enough to revolt...maybe someone
like a Lee Iococca would come along and orchestrate a purchase of the
company for Ford, other investors, or even an employee's group purchase. Of
course in doing so, you keep any parts of Chrysler that has remained
profitable. You also get something over the days stock price of the
company.
Didn't Chrysler do it with AMC?
I seems like back in the late 70's or early 80's that Chrysler even tossed
the idea around of selling off the truck division. Ford was usually
mentioned as the potential purchaser, if I remember correctly. (Ford
Dakotas, anyone?)
The farm equipment big boys have been at this in a large way over the last
20 years, dropping from 25-30 manufacturers to maybe 4 or 5 today.

Yes, our country is being sold out. That giant sucking sound is more than
just jobs going to Mexico under NAFTA, it's whole companies either being
gutted for the prized divisions within or just closing the doors and moving
overseas. I hope this country wakes up before it's too late.

While I blame politics for this, I do not point to either Democrats or
Republicans - all of them are aware and none of them do anything about it.
The bottom line is the only thing that matters... I'll get off my soapbox
now,

Cal Hyer
Was it on this forum, someone's sig line included a phrase to the effect of:

"Where are we going, and what is this handbasket we're in?"
Yes Steve, you got me pissed off tonight!