I think I'm confused on spark plugs

From: Daniel Card (dccard1@pacbell.net)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2000 - 19:20:23 EST

I know this should be an easy concept. But I think I'm confused on the spark plugs.

I know the 4.7L V8 has a different ignition system on it, which is why you can't install an aftermarket ignition system. Now what I thought the case was, is that you have to use platinum plugs on the 4.7L because of the low voltage ignition system and you use copper plugs on the traditional ignition systems. You can't use plat plugs on aftermarket ignitions (like MSD), which is why everyone is using the regular 3923's. And I thought you can't use copper plugs on the 4.7L because it has a low voltage ignition.

Is this right, or where am I screwed up? Now if I am right that plat plugs must be used on the 4.7L, then does that mean you're supposed to use a plat plug that has both a plat firing tip and electrode (as in the APP3923)? Or it just has to have a plat tip (as in the AP3923)?

thanks for bearing with me on this one guys.

Dan Card
00 QC SLT 4x4, 4.7L, 3.92 LSD, Flowmaster dual straight pipes, Z-Tube w/9" Big Mouth