Tune Up Done/Questions

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sun Nov 05 2000 - 13:44:48 EST

Ok well it took me just about an hour to give my truck a decent tune up.
Here is what I did/installed:
-Autolite Coppers(PN#3924); $4.74 after rebate
-Fram PCV Valve(PN#FV163); $1.99
-Napa Gold Fuel Filter(PN#3318); $17.84
-Borg Warner Select Brass Dist. Cap(PN#C273); $9.49
-Borg Warner Select Dist. Rotor(PN#D223); $2.99
-Gumout Throttle Body and Intake Cleaner; $2.99
-Bottle of Amsoil PI Gas Additive; $7.50
-Total(without tax): $47.54

I also decided to swap out the Accel Super Coil and try the stock coil. I
gapped all the spark plugs at .045 for now. I used plently of dielectric
grease on the spark plugs and the coil, as well as on the dist. cap
terminals. I want to swap back in the Accel Super Coil and regap the plugs
to .050 after I run this tank through. I used 6 ounces of Amsoil PI Gas
Additive on this fillup and will use to the same amount next fillup. Just to
see if there is any difference in gas mileage. I 'cleaned' the QuickD TB
with it mounted on the engine, and just used the entire can of TB cleaner; I
did this cleaning before changing plugs.
The 13,000 mile old fuel filter was pretty clean internally and took a mere
10 minutes to change out.

Question now is: What would cause the 6,500 mile old spark plugs to be
rather blackened all over? Plugs for cylinders 1 through 6 were very black;
this color was not oil either. They smelled fine also. Would this be
considered a 'rich' running condition? I have changed alot of plugs in my
Dak and have never seen them this color. I did clean the TB with Gumout's
Throttle Body and Intake cleaner right before I looked at/pulled the plugs,
so I wonder if this perhaps the excess burnoff coated the plugs? Could the
Ford Motorsport #19s not be working for my truck's current setup? I guess
the best way to see will be to check the spark plugs in a couple thousand
miles, to rule out running rich/fouling due to the TB cleaning. I probably
should have checked the plugs before cleaning the TB. Just seems to be alot
of gunk if indeed it was from the TB cleaning. Thanks for any and all info.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6