Re: Tune Up Done/Questions

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Mon Nov 06 2000 - 09:36:13 EST

At 12:44 PM 11/5/00 -0600, you wrote:
> <SNIP>
>Question now is: What would cause the 6,500 mile old spark plugs to be
>rather blackened all over? Plugs for cylinders 1 through 6 were very black;
>this color was not oil either. They smelled fine also. Would this be
>considered a 'rich' running condition? I have changed alot of plugs in my
>Dak and have never seen them this color. I did clean the TB with Gumout's
>Throttle Body and Intake cleaner right before I looked at/pulled the plugs,
>so I wonder if this perhaps the excess burnoff coated the plugs? Could the
>Ford Motorsport #19s not be working for my truck's current setup? I guess
>the best way to see will be to check the spark plugs in a couple thousand
>miles, to rule out running rich/fouling due to the TB cleaning. I probably
>should have checked the plugs before cleaning the TB. Just seems to be alot
>of gunk if indeed it was from the TB cleaning. Thanks for any and all info.
>Kyle 93 Dakota 4x4 V6

It really sounds like you've got a lot of carbon deposit on your plugs.

Take a look at the bottom pic and text on:
     http://www.centuryperformance.com/spark2.htm

Hope this helps.

Bob. Burlington, Ont., Canada.
'97 Dakota CC, 5.2L, 4x2, 3.92 SG, auto., 4265 lb.
Dyno: 231.2 rwhp 340.0 lb-ft rw torque
PB: 14.737 @ 91.75 9.364 @ 72.95