Re: RE: Re: RE: Tune Up Done/Questions

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sun Nov 05 2000 - 18:37:35 EST

> If you remove it, there will be some (light) blackish/brownish residue on
> the tip (that's normal). If there's an excessive amount though and some
of
> the openings are covered, it may be plugged up. (Unfortunately, you can't
> clean them with regular cleaners, but a light scrubbing with a brass-wire
> brush may help a little bit.)
>
> Also, how old if the Catalytic Converter? A plugged Cat can cause this in
> some cases.
>
> The other item to check is the throttle body and all the ports. Make sure
> that they're all clean (especially IAC port).

I did clean the AIS port and sensor, so I know that is ok also. The
catalytic converter was replaced at 75,000 miles, cause the stocker had
something broken internally and was rattling. Is there any definitive way to
tell if a converter is indeed plugged up???????............cause this is one
thing that keeps running through my head when trying diagnose mpg and
drivability issues. So I guess the current converter has 56K miles on it. I
will check the 02 sensor this week and see how it looks. Thanks Bernd, and
others.......
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6