RE: Re: RE: Tune Up Done/Questions

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Sun Nov 05 2000 - 15:30:48 EST

If you remove it, there will be some (light) blackish/brownish residue on
the tip (that's normal). If there's an excessive amount though and some of
the openings are covered, it may be plugged up. (Unfortunately, you can't
clean them with regular cleaners, but a light scrubbing with a brass-wire
brush may help a little bit.)

Also, how old if the Catalytic Converter? A plugged Cat can cause this in
some cases.

The other item to check is the throttle body and all the ports. Make sure
that they're all clean (especially IAC port).

Last item to check...compression. Make sure that they're all within
spec...if you're on 130+ miles, this may also be due to normal wear on the
engine.

- Bernd

However, if everything checks out fine, go with the old saying: "If it
works...don't fix it." Leave it be and just drive it. :)