Re: Project 1HIDAK nearly complete

From: Walter Felix (walt_felix@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 06 2000 - 12:13:40 EST

Thanks Dave, I still have a few things to knock out but I'm happy with the
results so far. If I had to do it over, I don't think I would. It was a
major pain in the Ass. The TrailMaster kit bolted in for the most part,
except for the overall fit which I think would still have been poor if I was
installing it on a 91. It seemed like holes didn't line up exactly and
required some hammering, twisting, bending and such to get the bolts in. I
have heard from others that this is common with the kit. It was all the
little stuff towards the end that really bothered me. Parts being back
ordered for a ridicules amount of time. Having to figure out what parts
needed to be replaced and locate them. It started with the calipers, I went
down and ordered them because I could not find a local parts store that had
them in stock. Get those in then discover the banjo bolt is a different
size. Need to order that because no one stocks it. Not being able to walk
into a parts store and tell them the dimensions of the tie rod ends I need.
Had to call Federal Mogul to get a part number, to give the guy at the auto
parts store, for him to order the part. Having to figure out that the setup
I had came up with required an 88 inner brake pad and a 91 outer on the
front. Since I was only able to work on the truck on the weekends, it
really delayed me when something didn't fit and I had to order parts. I've
been told that the kit takes two full weekends to install on a 91-96. I
originally figured 4 or 5 weekends would be plenty. It took a little over 7
months. It's not like I was working on it every weekend because I had other
commitments to keep, but 7 months is still way longer than I wanted to tie
the truck up for.

One good thing was I had documented this on the web page. Other's should
have a much easier time of it with my pictures and notes.

Can you send me a picture of that skid plate? I want to see how that goes
in. If you still have the part number, that would help me from having to
look it up.

Thanks,

Walt Felix
88½ Dakota Sport 4x4, 2000 Ram 1500 QuadCab Sport 4x4 and a 67 Barracuda
Coupe 340/4Speed
Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.COM

WWW.Walt-n-Ingrid.COM/project_1hidak.htm

http://WWW.Walt-n-Ingrid.COM
http://WWW.MoparsinMotion.COM