Re: Busting spark plugs!!!

From: Grady Ogburn (jgo@uswest.net)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 21:04:22 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "jay & dana" <jay&dana@telus.net>
[snip]
> My question is when this happens do you still have the round metal heat
> shields in place? And if you do, how do you get all the broken pieces out
> before replacing the new plugs? (If you don't have an air compressor)

The consensus appears to behind just removing them, particularly if you're
using wires with boots that are made well enough to withstand the heat. I
removed mine when I put in 3923s, and there haven't been any detrimental
effects. Makes it easier to blow/clean the cr_p out of the recess, too,
before you remove the old plugs.

Just get a solid grip on the shield with a good set of pliers, and
twist/pull/wiggle until it comes out. WATCH YOUR KNUCKLES. When it twists
loose, it comes off *quick*.

> Won't it be easier to replace plugs without these heat shields?

Well, it was pretty easy without the shields.

Grady Ogburn
'98 Sport CC 4x4
5.2l, 5 Speed
Mesa Headers & Cat