Re: Dakota lifts

From: Dkota4by4@aol.com
Date: Sun Nov 12 2000 - 06:10:30 EST

Wes,

  Asking people's opinions on lifts is a lot like asking who's going to win
the Pres. race.  First thing you need to decide is what kind of lift you
want...suspension or body.  You can get a 2 or 3" body lift for about $150
and install it yourself. Performance accessories and Trailmaster both make
lifts for Gen III Daks.  I would HIGHLY recommend the Performance Accessories
unit.  PA makes the majority of the kits out there and it is good quality.
 The main difference between them is that Trailmaster has you cut the
steering shaft and weld a new piece in.  PA gives you an extension that you
bolt in.  The PA kit also comes with bumper relocation brackets.
    If you are looking suspension lift, then you have Rancho's 3" kit and
Tuff Country's 5.5" kit.  This is where most of the debate starts.  Some
people have had bad experiences, or have heard bad stories about Tuff Country
and opted to stay away from them and go with the smaller kit.  Personally, I
went with TC and have not had ANY problems with it.  I think a lot of the
problems others had was in the install.  It is a very long, hard process
(about 20 hours) and you must know what you are doing.  The lower bump stop
brackets hang down, but I am looking into ways to cut them and use limiting
straps to give you another few inches of clearance.  Rancho makes a quality
kit and I can't say anything bad about them. I have not done an install on
the Rancho kit and don't know how hard it is.  O.K....now for the bad
part...price.  Like I mentioned earlier..body lift = ~$150 and it is a self
install.  The suspension lift = 1214.95 to your door for the Tuff Country kit
through the group buy that we have.  4Wheel Parts list the Rancho kit at
1427.95 + shipping.  You will have to go with new rims with either kit.  Be
sure you find a rim that not only fits the 6x4.5 bolt pattern, but one that
will support the weight of a lifted truck.  You are going to be increasing
the weight by a couple of hundred pounds and the unsprung weight by probably
another 100 (this is an approximation).  Tires...this depends entirely on
you.  I have the 3" body lift and 5.5" suspension lift and l'm running BFG
35x12.5x15 radial muds (but I really think 36s will fit).  I paid 528 for the
tires (on base so there was no tax).  Install...I checked with my local 4wd
club and they sent me to one of their members who installs lifts as a side
job.  I would highly recommend you do this since the local 4wd shop wanted
1300 to install the kit.  The club member did it for 300 with my help.  I did
have my y-pipe off the headers rebent ($45) since the front driveshaft could
not clear it and had to get an alignment.  I am also changing my gears from
3.55s to 4.56s.  I already have the gears and bearing kits ($456) and have
been quoted $400 for the install.  If there is anything else you need to
know, please feel free to ask.

Russ
97   318   CC   4x4   black  auto  SLT+   with all the options    Mopar PCM
   5.5" Tuff Country suspension lift     3" body lift   35x12.5x15 BFG Mud
Terrain    F&B stage II TB   14x3 K&N open element   Gibson cat-back    Class
IV hitch   All decals except V8 removed   Pace Edwards Roll Top    Doug
Thorley Headers    Rhino Lined Bed    AE 117 polished 15x8 wheels    Amsoil
fluids    Mobil 1 Oil   Dual Air Horns