Re: Top Dead Center?

From: Tom (Kaboinga@aol.com)
Date: Fri Nov 17 2000 - 13:10:23 EST

Top Dead Center refers to the number one cyl. I'm not sure why you would want
the number 4 cyl at the top. My Haynes manual says to have the number one at
TDC. Heres how to get the number one at TDC for a 4 cyl. (assuming the
distributor is properly installed)

To get the number 1 at TDC. You will need to turn the crankshaft, having
somone to turn the ignition switch in short bursts is a good idea - otherwise
you will either have to turn it by hand with a socket and a breaker bar or with
a remote starter swtich. (You will still need the socket and breaker bar to
get TDC)

Make a mark on the distributor body right below the number one cyl. terminal in
the dist. cap.
Remove the dist. cap.
Turn the crankshaft untill the line on the flywheel/driveplate is aligned with
the zero or "TDC" mark on your timing indicator.
The rotor tip should be pointining directly at the mark you made on the dist.
body. If it is pointing inthe opposite direction - the piston is TDC on the
exhaust stroke (normally you would want it on the compression stroke) If it is
on the compression stroke - turn the crank shaft a full 360 degrees (a full
rotation) and that will bring the rotor tip around and pointing at the mark on
the dist. body.

--
Tom
http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine