Re: Sand Bags/Shovel

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@bigfoot.com)
Date: Fri Nov 17 2000 - 18:33:36 EST

Those of us who drive in cities/heavy traffic can't afford to do that.
When you're alone on the road, that's one thing. But you can't slide
around corners the fun way in traffic.

How do you spin SUVs and AWD minivans off the road? Real easy. 4WD
does not make you invincible. You're still governed by the laws of
physics. 4WD makes it easier to stay in control and retain control if
you've lost it, but if you don't know how to handle it, it can be just
as bad as, if not worse than, 2WD. Last winter, I got myself into a
4-wheel drift while in 4WD at less than 20 MPH. Scared the hell outta
me, and had I not regained my wits and taken control of the situation,
I'd have been through someone's mailbox and in their front yard (or
worse). Had I been in 2WD, I'd have lost it for sure (I regained
control by feeding in a little throttle, to get the front wheels to bite
and get me going in the right direction), but I was a little too cocky
being in 4WD. I've since learned to be more careful.

--
-andy

http://home.twcny.rr.com/andylevy/ --- andylevy@bigfoot.com ------------------------------------------------------------- modesty, n.: Being comfortable that others will discover your greatness -------------------------------------------------------------